The Name That Saved My Life

In 2017, Todd Dulaney released a single called “Your Great Name”. The first time I heard the song, I had it on repeat. I would play it over and over again especially when it got to the bridge/vamp.  It was a feel good song. It was another anthem in which we declared victory over the enemy and over whatever problem we might be facing. Of course the song became very popular and it was and continues to be sung in every church service lol. Although the song is a year old (almost two), its relevance and impact has not changed or diminished. I can only speak for myself when I say this but the song was no longer just a feel good anthem.  It became my testimony. I’ve had to call on the name of Jesus a few times last year. More times that I can count. I've had some real moments last year in which I realized the only one that could help me was Jesus. There is a part of the song that says,

                                      “Things change when we call you Jesus
                                        Things change when we call your name
                                         I’m free when I call you Jesus
                                         I’m free when I call your name



These few words held so much weight. Every time I would hear them, tears would fall from my eyes. It was my hope in the midst of darkness. In the midst of brokenness. In the midst of confusion. It became words of comfort and strength. When a wave of depression would hit me and I lacked motivation to do anything, I would call on the name of Jesus. When doubts and insecurities became my constant companion, I called on the name of Jesus. When it felt like my heart would literally burst because of how much it hurt, I called on the name of Jesus. When I didn’t feel like singing anymore, I called on the name of Jesus. That name was and continues to be my place of refuge. As I continue on this journey, I know that the only way I can face each day and each passing moment is by calling on that precious name. 



Comments

Popular Posts