What Does it Mean to be an Icon?

This weekend after hearing about the passing of Whitney Houston, it had me thinking a lot.  I could not believe that the Whitney Houston was gone.  I loved so many of her songs.  So many people were talking about how much of an impact she had on their lives and how her songs touched their hearts.  She was an icon.  Her death made me really think about my ministry of singing.  She became an icon through her beatiful singing, angelic voice and fame but what did it cost her to become that icon?  If Whitney Houston could have such an impact on people through secular music, why can't I have such an impact through my singing on people who need to hear about the love of Christ?  God blessed me with such a beautiful voice and everyday I thank Him for it.  Every opportunity I receive to minister, I take it because its another chance to touch someone's life.  It's another chance to minster to at least one person who might have a broken heart or someone who needs to feel the love of God more than ever before.  I want God's annointing to be so heavy over my life so that everytime that I sing a song, people will be able to feel how i feel about God. I want to be known and remembered but not for my own selfish purposes.  I don't want to be famous but I want to people to remember me for how I loved the Lord and how I demonstrated it through my singing.

Last week I was also reading Genesis 49 in which Jacob spoke to his sons describing the characteristics he saw in each of them.  Some were good and some were not so good.  However, he only called it like he saw it. Their actions throughout their whole life determined how their father described them later in life.  God has given me a gift and I want to use it for His honor and glory. Never to glorify myself. Humility is one characteristic I ask of him each and every day. I live to serve Him and I want to spread His word through my ministry of music/singing. So what will you today to ensure that you leave a great mark here on earth? How will you be remembered?

Comments

Popular Posts